Thursday, June 16, 2011

The DRUG Study

So since monday the 13th i have been at Quintiles.  I have decided to keep up to date well the best that i can with what i am doing here.  SO we are on day four now and it has gone very well.  I am living here for 22 days and staying in a room with seven other guys who are doing the same study that i am.  We are on a "special diet" we cant have any condiments except for pepper, no caffeine, candy, gum or anything like that.  We cant exercise or anything like that and cant go outside unless they take us out.  We are asked to eat as much of the food as we can on days when we take the diabetic medicine to make sure our blood sugar doesn't drop. We are also required to keep a liquid log and have to drink at least 2 litters a day and right down how much we drank and at what time.  There is also another group of people here on the same study that we are and i think they are about done.

The first two days were very simple.  Day 1 was full of suspense and wondering i was going to get to participate or be asked to be a back up or just go home.  By 5 that evening i was told that i would be participating in the study.  day 2 i sat in my bed for most day watching movies mostly House on my computer or watching tv on my bedside tv.  I have my xbox hooked up to it and have been playing online as well.  I also got to go outside today for about 45 min.  there is a gated patio that we get to sit out at normally around 8:30-9 they will take anyone out that wants to go.

Day 3

Our first day of dosing.  We were given a blood catheter so that we wouldn't have to be stuck 12 times throughout the day.  Our vitals were taken and they began to get us ready to receive the first drug.  This one was given through and IV so we were given a dosing catheter as well.  Through out the day we had to drink a cup of water when they told us to and then go to the bathroom and pee in a jug.  We were put on urine collection and have to pee in a jug every time we go to the bathroom.  It was a busy day of several test and blood draws and an ECG to make sure we were doing well.  I had to stay up until 1 for my last blood draw for the dose.

Day 4

I had to get up early today.  I was awake at 6:45 because there were about five nurses in our room getting people ready for another ECG and vitals and a dose of the diabetic med.  Today the med was only a pill in the morning but we still had about 11 blood draws, lucky for me i decided to keep the blood draw catheter in so i don't feel anything when they take my blood.  We are still on urine collection so i have begun to get used to going to the bathroom in a jug.  I was brushing my teeth this morning and watched a lady pass out and fall straight back and smack her head on the ground.  She was fine though besides the pain in her head.  I herd a doctor talking and she was new and hadn't even gotten any meds.  So it was like a bad reaction or anything like that.  Our meals are on a staggered plan today so i eat later than almost everyone there is a 10 min difference between every person so when the first guy gets his food its about and hour and a half until i get mine.  So toady i wont get dinner until 7:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment